Global Councils on SDGs
The Global Councils on Sustainable Development Goals was established during the sixth edition of the World Government Summit, WGS 2018, held in Dubai, United Arab Emirates
After a successful end of term for the 1st SDGsGC (term 2018-2020) the 2nd SDGsGC will continue their journey in implementing the SDGs driven by the notion of the Decade in Action for Councils to drive impact driven projects around the world. Therefore, it is the duty of the Global Councils on Sustainable Development Goals, established by the World Government Summit, to implement projects with tangible outcomes and support the international implementation of the SDGs.
Purpose of the Councils
The Global Councils on Sustainable Development Goals (hereafter ‘the Councils’) is a unique interdisciplinary network of decision makers from governments, international organizations, academia, charitable organizations and the private sector coming together to implement innovative projects and discuss the creative implementation of the 17 SDGs at national and global levels. The Councils have to create new partnerships between countries and organizations in the implementation of innovative solutions which will predominantly be translated through initiatives that will allow each Global Council to analyze, conceptualize, implement and measure impact on country level and report progress made to the World Government Summit - SDGs in Action attendees on an annual basis.
Status of the Councils
Each Council will operate as an independent, neutral, not-for-profit, unincorporated association.
Composition of the Councils
Each Council will consist of the Chairperson of the Council (hereafter ‘the Chairperson’) the Vice Chairperson (hereafter ‘the Vice Chair). Members of the Council (hereafter ‘the Members’).
Each Council will consist of no more than 15 Members (including a Chairperson), Vice Chairperson, a member of the UAE Youth Advisory Council on SDGs, and Members that is diverse in nationality, gender, race, origin and disability and is multi-sectoral in its composition encompassing officials from government, international organizations, the private sector, civil society, academia and youth.
The President of the Global Council, in collaboration with the UAE Prime Minister’s Office, organizers of the World Government Summit, and the Federal Competitiveness and Statistics Centre, will nominate the Vice Chair, Youth Advisory Council member, and Members to the Councils. Changes to the composition of the Councils can be altered upon liaison with the President, PMO, and Secretariat.
Open call to nominations:
The SDGs in Action @ World Government Summit invites members from society to nominate themselves to be part of the second term of the Global Councils on Sustainable Development Goals (GC SDGs). Nominees will have the opportunity to select from a range of nexus models that complements the vision for the second term of the Global Council on SDGs. Nominees has to complete the form in the link below, taking into consideration that the organizers, in collaboration with the Prime Minister’s Office and the Federal Competitiveness and Statistics Centre, will identify and appoint nominees in the following roles;
- The Chairperson will act as a champion for the Council and communicate the outcomes of Council discussions in a range of international fora particularly at the annual World Government Summit.
- The Chairperson belongs to a community of leaders who collaborate closely to shape a better future for the world whilst engaging the broader community. They will actively initiate and contribute to global initiatives and events that will assist the global community in achieving the SDG.
- The Chairperson will provide advice regarding the annual SDGs in Action program at the World Government Summit in Dubai. Their participation may involve delivering keynote addresses, planning and hosting panel discussions, seminars and facilitating discussions between key stakeholders.
- The Chairperson will work with the Vice Chair, Youth Advisory Council member, and Members of the Council appointed by the President of the Councils.
- The Chairperson will liaise with the Secretariat of the Councils to evaluate members and appoint additional Members if required and justified.
- The Chairperson will leverage his/her network to obtain funding when required, apart from funding from relevant partners (if partners agree to fund).
- The Vice Chairpersons will provide support to the chairperson with the communication and outcome of Council discussions in a range of international fora particularly at the annual World Government Summit.
- The Vice Chairperson will be second in charge and liaise with the Council Chairperson, Youth Advisory Council member, and Members to work in a seamless manner to drive impact.
- Members will assist the Chairperson and the Vice Chair in the development of the annual outline of work, tasks and goals. Members will contribute fully to the implementation of this plan.
- Members will assist the Chairperson, the Vice Chair, and the Youth Advisory Council member in the development of the annual outline of work, tasks and goals. Members will contribute fully to the implementation of this plan.
- Members will consist of officials from government, international organizations, the private sector, civil society, academia and youth.
Youth Advisory Council member
- The Youth Advisory Council member will be responsible for arranging the quarterly, electronic Council meetings.
- The Youth Advisory Council member will submit a quarterly update report on the ongoing activities of their council. The update report will be submitted to the Secretariat.
*Members of this council will be elected by the Secretariat of the UAE National Committee on SDGs.
Nominees have to complete the following form in order to be evaluated and potentially be appointed in a specific role as described above.
Click here to complete the form